Do you ever have nightmares about accidentally dropping your keys, phone or other valuables down a storm drain? If so, you’re not alone! It’s safe to say that dealing with dropped keys down the storm drain in Bethel, OH is a major concern for folks all over the place. After all, nobody wants to go fishing for their keys while traffic whirrs past them on the street. Continue reading to learn what you should do if you ever happen to drop your keys or other valuables down the drain:
- Avoid sticking your arm in the grate: Unless your arms are super long and skinny, you’re not going to be able to get your keys back by sticking your arm down the grate. In reality, sticking your arm down the drain could actually lead to it getting stuck, which is a lot worse than just losing your keys!
- Try fishing for them: If you can see your keys, you may be able to “fish” for them by attaching a magnet to the end of a shoelace or long piece of string. If you can get the magnet to attach to a key, you might be able to pull the keys up and out of the drain. Just like fishing in a lake, though, this could be a tedious and time-consuming task!
- Call the city sanitation department: The sanitation department is in charge of all the storm drains and sewers throughout your town. If you ever drop something down a storm drain, they can go down and retrieve your items for you. Though they may not show up right away, calling them instead of trying to fish for your keys yourself is the best option.
What to do if something goes down the sink drain
Losing jewelry, a screw, your keys or any other item down the drain at your own house is a bummer. But at least it’s a problem that you can solve on your own! Follow these steps to rescue items that disappear down the sink:
- Turn off the water: The first thing you should do after something slips down the drain is shut off the water. Turning off the water ensures that the item won’t go any farther down the pipe, meaning you’ll have an easier time getting it back.
- Disconnect the u-bend: Common sense tells us that your item will most likely get caught in the u-bend after it goes down the drain. Luckily, you can easily loosen the bolts with a pair of pliers. Be sure to put a bucket under the u-bend before tanking it off, as there will be some nasty drainage that comes along with it.
- Find your item: Your item should plop right into the bucket after you take off the u-bend! Keep in mind that you unfortunately may have to search through some gunk to find it.
- Consider calling a pro: These steps shouldn’t take too long, but if you want to get your items back without lifting a finger, just call a plumber! A professional can remove the u-bend in minutes and find your item for you.
If you lost your keys in the sewer drain in Bethel, OH, call the team at Gullett Sanitation Services Inc. We partner with the city to provide storm drain services, and we’ll send someone out right away to retrieve your keys, jewelry or whatever else it is that slipped down the drain.