Nobody likes thinking too much about sewage, but it’s important to understand the health implications of exposure to sewage and sewage-contaminated water. These diseases can affect anyone, but small children, elderly people and those with compromised immune systems are especially susceptible to becoming ill because of sewage exposure and contamination. If your home or business is hooked up to a septic system, it’s essential that you hire a professional team for septic cleanup in Bethel, OH as soon as possible after a spill to prevent the spread of dangerous illnesses:
- Cryptosporidiosis: This disease is caused by a small parasite that is found in every region of the United States. It is incredibly resilient thanks to a durable outer shell, and can survive without a host for a long time. Symptoms of cryptosporidiosis are usually relatively mild, but include fever, an upset stomach and diarrhea.
- Gastroenteritis: Commonly known as the stomach flu, gastroenteritis can be caused by several different viruses that lurk in sewage. Symptoms usually last for under two weeks and are typical of a stomach illness, but they can cause serious harm to people with weakened immune systems, including infants and elderly people.
- Encephalitis: Encephalitis is actually spread by mosquitoes, but the mosquitoes that carry encephalitis prefer to lay their eggs in stagnant water, including stagnant sewage. If you have a sewage spill anywhere on your property, you may be exposed to encephalitis through mosquito bites, which can lead to severe infection in some cases that may lead to coma.
- Hepatitis A: Adults are especially vulnerable to hepatitis A infection, which is a disease of the liver. Hepatitis A symptoms are similar to those caused by other liver diseases and include jaundice, abdominal pain, fatigue and nausea.
- Typhoid fever: Typhoid is caused by a type of salmonella bacteria that is exclusive to human bloodstreams and intestinal tracts. It is often spread through exposure to sewage and may cause extremely high fevers, headaches, an overall unwell feeling and stomach pains. People who get typhoid fever can spread it to others, even after symptoms have stopped, so it’s important that patients take precautions to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Salmonellosis: Like typhoid, salmonellosis is caused by a strand of salmonella bacteria. This illness causes abdominal cramping, diarrhea and a fever. The disease typically lasts for less than a week, but the risk can be severe for people with vulnerable immune systems. If fluids aren’t replenished effectively, salmonellosis can result in death.
Don’t hesitate when it comes to septic cleanup in Bethel, OH—make sure to give Gullett Sanitation Services Inc. a call right away. Since 1942, we have developed our reputation as a premier provider of sanitation and septic services to commercial and residential clients in the area. From sludge disposal to jet aeration, we offer a wide range of septic and sewage system solutions so that you can keep every aspect of your system running the way it should for years to come. We have a team of trained and certified professionals that are ready to help you—just give us a call to get started with a consultation and quote!